This summer is so different and most of us won’t be fulfilling our summer bucket lists anytime soon. Instead, we decided to plan a trip to the lake house. With the current climate, I thought I would share 12 things to bring to the lake house or cottage this summer.
I’ve shared our cottage retreat before on the blog, and you guys know I love spending as much time as I can there. But the thing I hate the most is packing and unpacking after a weekend away. I swear I forget half the stuff (like the almond milk and bbq sauce this weekend), and I really just wanted to simplify the process with a list.
12 things to bring to the lake house
I wanted to start with all the things I always bring to the lake house on weekends.
- Patagonia waterproof bag – Trust me this is essential for cottage country or anywhere close to water. It’s a great way to protect your clothes and important things like an iPad or your electronics.
- Teva Sandals – definitely not your mom’s sandals anymore! These are perfect for any type of terrain you encounter at the lake house.
- Barefoot Dream Blanket – a bit of a splurge but its the softest blanket I own and I literally take it for cold nights, sleeping in the car or covering my daughter when she’s napping.
- Amazon Packing Cubes – Not only are they cute but they help you stay organized when you’re at the cottage. This one also includes a laundry bag.
- Yeti Water Bottle – I’m currently drinking out of mine while I’m writing this. Some cottages or lake houses don’t have the best tasting water so I usually bring my own in this and it keeps cool the whole time.
- Byredo Hand Sanitizer – The best smelling hand sanitizer ever! I actually need one just for the car, because at some point you’re going to need to get gas or groceries.
- 3 in 1 Portable Charger – I’ve bought so many over the years but this one is 1000% the best one I’ve tried. It’s a fast charge, comes with all the cords, and even has a wall plug included.
- Beach Towel – Bringing your own beach towel is a good idea.
- Pool Float – If your planning on spending any time near water then a pool float will be your best friend this summer.
- Yeti Cooler – A total splurge but I love that it doesn’t look as big and bulky as other coolers.
- Laundry Bag – I always take the laundry bag with me because more of the time I either don’t want to do laundry or there isn’t a place to do it.
- Long Sleeve Tee – A long sleeve t-shirt is perfect for summer nights or cool early mornings.
what else to bring to a lake house
During this time I would recommend bringing a little more things than you usually would. Like a mask, hand sanitizer, cleaners for disinfecting things like handles, and counters. Plus I wouldn’t normally bring my own sheets but in this case, you might want to. Unless of course, it’s your family’s lake house or cottage and you can watch them before hand.
- linens like sheets, its also always good to check in with your rental to see what they use during this time.
- pillows and pillowcases
- blankets and throws to use on colder evenings
- towels for showering and towels for swimming.
- toilet paper, paper towels, etc.
- coffee or tea
- food storage bags
- trash bags
- dish soap and sponge
- toothpaste and whatever toiletries you need