In today’s post, I’m sharing my mother’s deep-fried salmon recipe.
Deep-fried salmon has been a staple of summers at the cottage since I could remember. My dad would return home from his early morning fishing adventures, boasting the catch of the day.
Which sounds like heaven right?
Except that my sister and I were both picky eaters and the taste of fish never appealed to us.
It was my mom’s persistence that ultimately convinced us to try salmon for the first time and actually enjoy it! So if you have picky-eaters, non-fish lovers or you just want to try a new way of eating salmon (fish) then you’re going to love this recipe.
Preparing the Salmon
I’ll be honest, you can cook salmon any way you want but if you don’t clean it properly it will always have that unappealing fishy taste.
To properly clean the fish you’ll want to make sure the filet is fully de-boned first. Next, you will need to remove the fat layer from the rest of the meat.
The fat layer is the noticeable dark-colored layer between the meat and the bone.
Before you start cooking the salmon, we usually cut smaller filets that are between 2-4 inches wide. This gives the perfect bite-sized pieces that work well for deep-frying and for small children to eat.
Healthy Oil Options for Deep-Frying
You can find more information on the healthiest cooking oil for deep frying.
What do you Serve with Deep-Fried Salmon?
Don’t forget your sides!
Some of my favorite combinations for salmon friendly sides are:
If you’re looking for some wine to pair perfectly with your dinner, check out my Ontario Wine Guide here.
Picky-Eater-Approved: Deep-Fried Salmon RecipeCourse: DinnerDifficulty: Easy
Our family has been catching fresh salmon for decades! We’ve been able to hone in the best ways to cook salmon (or any type of fish). Today we’re sharing my mom’s picky-eater-approved recipe for deep-fried salmon. Plus I’ve included a few ideas to help make this meal as healthy as possible.
4 oz fresh salmon
1-2 whole eggs
1 cup of bread crumbs
1 cup of flour
Oil of choice (we use coconut, ghee, or olive oil)
- Prepare the fish into bite-size pieces, and removing the fat layer.
- Pour 1/4-1/2 cup of oil into preferably a cast iron pan, or wok.
- Preheat oil on the stovetop to medium heat then reduce to low once oil is heated.
- Pour 1 cup of flour onto a medium bowl.
- Break and mix 1-2 large whole eggs in a bowl (you may need to add another egg depending on the amount of fish you are cooking and the size of the egg).
- Pour 1 cup of bread crumbs into a large plate.
- Start covering each filet entirely in flour (making sure to flip both sides).
- Dip flour-covered filet in the egg mix until fully covered.
- Using a fork to pick up filet in egg to cover in bread crumbs.
- Using fork place filet in heated oil on the pan. Cook each side for 3-5 minutes or until golden brown ( cooking time will vary depending on stove and pan type),
- Place deep-fried salmon on a paper towel to get rid of excess oil before eating.
- Repeat steps 7 – 11 until all filets are done.
- This recipe will work with any type of fish. Also, cooking time will depend on filet size, oven, and pan type.